Friday, May 26, 2006

Snake, Rattle & Roll

Thursday, May 25, 2006
I gathered with the boyz for our weekly "get dirty at the cove" ride. We had a HUGE group this evening...16 people! Wow! We were so big we decided to split up. One group of 6 decided to climb the 1000' climb to Clownhead, and some of the upper trails. The remaining 10 of us decided to stay on the lower stuff.

The ride was filled with lots of excitement. If we had brought the camera, I don't think we would have had the opportunity to play Jeff Corwin. (he's the other wildlife dude on Animal Planet who loves to play w/ snakes and other assorted slithery creatures) Anywho...As we rode through the Enchanted Forest, thoughts of big black bears kept running though my brain. We saw one last week along the same trail & my hubby ran into one on the 1000' climb the other night. (in case you did not know, I'm not too fond of bears...I think it's from watching too much drama on tv) As we cruised on the trail, Warren was frantically waving us along, shouting, Don't Stop, Don't Stop, Keep Moving. I thought to myself...Mama bear is near & he is making us ride away from her. No problem. After most of the group rode past Warren, a few of us stopped to see what all of the commotion was about. Bear? No..worse....Snake...not just any snake...Rattlesnake!!!!!!! What is it w/ snakes this year? First at the WV race, now the Cove!...Oh did I mention I'm not too fond of snakes ?


Well they scared him far away from the trail...Warren even tossed a rock at him which hit him on the head.. He was not a happy snake. He rattled the whole time. As Mark & Curt rode up I was screaming Stop!...Halt!....(I don't know if it was some deep rooted maternal instinct to protect or what...but I didn't want anyone getting near this thing)

I can honestly say that's the first time I've ever seen a rattlesnake in the wild..and hopefully the last. What's in store next week? Bobcat? Stay tuned

No comments: