Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Peaksview Park Race - Lynchburg, VA

The third Va Derailer Series race was held this past weekend in Lynchburg. This course is very twisty w/ tons of switchbacks & trails which double back on themselves. No huge climbs..but very challenging nonetheless.

We had a staggered start w/ the female sport riders starting behind the "big boyz" a.ka. Clydesdales. I was glad we got to start together. 6 sport ladies lined up. 3 of the ladies were in the younger sport class & 3 of us were in the "old lady" category. The first 3/4 of the course was on a paved road, then you go around a soccer field until dumping into the singletrack. I took off at the start knowing there were a couple strong ladies who could hammer the road. I kept the pace high, maybe a little too high, but I really wanted to get into the woods first. As I pedaled like crazy I thought someone would certainly take the lead, that's when I heard one of the ladies exclaim "I'm just gonna sit back and draft off of you" I glanced back & sure enough, the ladies were lined up single file w/ me setting an 18mph pace. Great, I thought, I'm gonna blow up on the first mile!

We rounded the soccer field and then took the left hand turn into the first climb on the singletrack. I knew what was coming b/c I had pre-rode in the rain earlier that week. I geared down slightly and hammered on to the first climb. I heard the sound of chain suck behind be & was thankful I did not get tangled up behind the mechanical problem one of the ladies had.
As I climbed the rooty trail, I heard some of my fellow Tuesday night "chicky" riders cheering me on! I shouted back " Chicky's rock" and continued twisting and turning my bike through the trail. I knew the girls weren't far behind so I kept the pace high.

Midway through the first lap I let some of the beginner men go by me. They were hammering pretty good & I did not want to hold them up. Chris Clark, one of my Team El Toreo teammates was in this group. I jumped on his wheel & kept their pace for a little while. At one point, the trail leveled a bit. I shouted to the guys "come on, pick it up, let's go". They picked it up slightly but not to my liking. I thought I'd "motivate" them a little more. I then shouted..."come on guys...you don't want to get passed by a girl...do you?" That's all it took...they increased the pace and were soon out of sight. As they drifted out of sight, I encouraged Chris a little more to stay w/ them.

I was feeling great on the bike and tried to maintain a steady rhythm. I also made sure I stayed well hydrated, drinking every chance I could get. I did have a bobble on the Roller Coaster section falling on some slick rocks...Ouch. Towards the end of the 1st lap, I followed another sport male rider..His pace was somewhat slower than I wanted but it was good because it kept me in check. Then I heard a female rider shout "finally, another female" I realized it was Kelly, one of the younger sport women....Kelly's pretty strong & she had ridden this course before so I knew she would hang tough this second lap. I asked her where the other ladies were..she said one had a mechanical as we dumped in the trail, but was not far back. We descended down to the road. I passed the sport male and turned up the gas. Kelly was not far behind. As I made the turn at the soccer field, I could see her fast approaching..maybe 15 seconds.

I rode as hard as I could on the second lap. Continually looking at the trails and listening to see how far back the other chicky was on the course.. I caught a couple of glimpses on some of the trails which double back...I kept my pace high while still maintaining control of the bike. I had a few more bobbles as I started to tire but nothing too major. Just before entering the roller coaster for the 2nd time I caught up to another El Toreo Teammate, Frank. I asked him if he had any gel b/c I was starting to cramp & forgot mine Doh! Fortunately he did...what a lifesaver...problem was the next mile or so of trail was so twisty & turny I could not take my had off the bars so I rode on, gel packet dangling from my mouth. I looked like a cat w/ a fresh kill, it was quite the site!
Finally, a straightaway so I could get a swig of the gel...I reached for my water bottle to wash it down and ....aaaaaaaahh No liquid! Oh well, I swallowed as best as I could..Yuk!!

As I continued the second lap, I kept listening to see if any chicky's were coming. I couldn't tell so I just kept hammering. I crashed again on those stupid rocks on the Roller Coaster...I fell in the same spot & landed on the same hip..now I have a beautiful, multicolored bruise...pretty.
Out of the trail & onto the road. I put it in my big ring & pedaled as hard as I could. W/ the finish line in sight, lots of my teammates were already in. They were screaming & yelling. I get such a rush from folks cheering that I get an extra adrenaline boost. It's pretty cool. As I went by my hubby, he exclaimed "You're the first one in"! Woo Hoo I crossed the finish line & waited to see where Kelly was....Here she came..under 1 minute behind...I cheered for her as she neared the finish....Great Job Chicky!

Overall time was 2 hours 3 minutes & 8 seconds..not too shabby for an old lady.

Next up: Bedford....
Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon

2 comments:

Jen said...

LOL. Old lady. I'll stick with that excuse myself. 16 year age groups. WTH? :( You rock Paula, but we've got to get more chickys entered to change those age groupings! See ya!

Rev's Pulpit said...

I could feel the pain of those guys as you growled at them to speed it up. They probably took off like scared dogs! And whats up with this ole lady stuff. You got the lungs and legs of a spring chic. Hum, that might be considered sexual harrassment in the office. Keep up the great riding.
rev