Thursday, May 31, 2007

SOLO

Tues evening I ventured out to the Cove for a quick spin. I’ve been feeling a bit couped up so I needed to just get out. I was hoping to “tag along” with some of the Thursday crew who sometimes ride on Tuesdays. Unfortunately, that was not to be. I got to the Cove & waited until 5:40 for any familiar faces to show. None did..so I went solo.
I headed out Hi De Hoe, to Four Gorge (connector). I actually enjoyed it because I wasn’t trying to hammer from the start like I do on the Thursday ride. I was able to set my own pace & get a good warm up in. I then headed down the bottom portion of the 1000’ climb and on to the fireroad. Then a quick left up the newly re-routed Songbird Trail. This new re-route is sweeeeet!. It climbs for the first portion but then you get to some awesome burms, and turns and the flow is incredible. I was having so much fun that I almost took another rider out who had pulled off the trail but was behind a tree. I didn’t see him until I was right on him! YIKES!
Crossed over the smaller fireroad & completed the trail. Then it was on to Arrowhead. This trail climbs for a while…but I did really well on the climb. Kept it in middle ring and kept a steady pace the whole way. Then descended into the creek crossing..had to dab, climbed up the steep hill, then traversed my way over to the harder creek crossings. I walked these….descended down the loose section, then dumped back on the fireroad. I was debating on continuing on to the trail we normally do on Thursdays but I wasn’t completely sure where it would lead to. So I took the safe route. Back down the fire road for a few miles & up the 1000’ climb to the Four Gorge trail again.
I kept it in the middle ring again up 1000’ and for most of Four Gorge. I think I enjoy the Four Gorge trail better coming in from the 1000’ climb side rather than the parking lot. It could have something to do with being warmed up by then..but it just seems to flow better.
Back down Hi Dee Hoe to the parking lot. It was about a 1 ½ hour ride..almost race pace with little stopping. When I got back to the parking lot, I recognized 2 of the guys vehicles from our Thursday ride.
I guess I could have waited to join the “boyz” but I enjoyed the serenity of my solo ride. I was able to keep a steady pace with little to no stopping (I hate stopping) I kept a close eye out for bear & didn’t talk to anyone I didn’t recognize..(they probably thought I was a little rude..but you can never be too careful out there..esp being a lone female rider) Saw lots of deer & chipmunks.

I really did miss my riding partner. Just hope we can get him in front of a doc who will work with him & stop trying to diagnose his heart when it’s something else! Frustrating but we'll get it figured out.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Glad you had a fun ride!!! The Cove is great! We'll have to have a Sunday chicky ride there soon. I am planning on being at your Explore Park Chicky Ride June 11th and 18th. Finally had a chance to take advantage of the schedule! Looking very forward to it, so it will probably rain. LOL!!!