Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bedford - Falling Creek Race

Sorry.haven't had a chance to blog about the race. Here's a quick summary

1. Borrowed a bike (when we pre-rode I knew the full suspension would not be necessary) My other hardtail is still in a single speed state, so I borrowed a buddy's Kona Hot. It had v-brakes so that was a bit different!

2. Before the warm up I saw one of the Sport Chickys who I raced with last year...she had a horrific accident the week before the race involving an endo and losing her front teeth! It was bad...I felt horrible for her.... I hope she recovers soon!

3. Start of the race...not a big field..only one other expert chicky & she was in the younger age group. She raced derailer last year...really strong rider! My other competitor in my class was a no show so all I had to do was finish.

4. Start goes off....I immediately have an asthma attack...could not breathe..had to back off....the experts were gone.

5. Got passed by a whole bunch of people....even some junior beginners towards the end of my first lap. Caught back up w/ a couple of sport guys..really nice dudes..one told me I was a celebrity b/c I had a blog & all...He knew my name but I had to ask him his....Kind of scary when people know who you are b/c of your blog. Oh well..

6. Course was tons of fun..Bedford has done a phenomenal job in getting the trails & park constructed just in the past year. Roanoke should look at how efficiently Bedford gets stuff done! Definitely a place I would ride just to ride for fun.

7. Had a meltdown on lap 3...Hubby was the sweep & he came upon me sitting in the middle of the trail sobbing. Not pretty. Got myself back together & continued on.

8. Finished the race exhausted & dead last (or first in my class). Having an asthma attack at the start really made it difficult to ride this race....I just wanted to survive.

9. I think I'm done for the season. No time to train & I've done the hillclimb 2 times before and really don't need to prove anything for the remainder of this season. I'm pretty burned out on the whole race scene this year. I'm ready to get back into the gym & start on the weights.

10. The end.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

I'm totally a Hokie now. I commit when I buy Hokie-themed earrings.