Friday, August 01, 2008

Girlz night out…

Went out to the Cove Thursday night for the regular group ride. Got there a little late b/c I had to let the spoiled pooch out…she had been home all day & I didn’t want to come home to any little “gifts” . I also tried to locate the bottom bracket puller for Chris’ new fancy Rig…but could not locate it quickly amongst the unpacked boxes which remain in our basement.

Upon arrival Laura (aka “Michigan”) greeted me in the parking lot. She said the boyz had already gone on their way. She had already ridden for an hour & came back to wait for Jen & I. Plus the boyz were climbing up Hi Dee Hoe or Buck..whatever it was, it didn’t sound like fun.

Jen arrived & we got ready to go. There was another group out there & we checked to see what route they were taking…they had not decided yet, so we decided to go on our way. We did the usual low lander meander route. Songbird to Arrowhead to Little Bell to Schoolhouse, to EF, to Comet, to Connector.

I was still riding pretty conservatively b/c the neck is still stiff. I have more range of motion but still can’t turn completely to the left to look over my shoulder. I tried not to push it too hard on the climbs..and some stuff I walked which I can normally ride…..I guess I’m still hesitant b/c I don’t want to risk further injury. Other than that my legs felt good. I could definitely feel the effects of being off the bike for 2 ½ weeks.

Jen led most of the ride As we got to Arrowhead trail, I tried some of the creek crossings ..I think I got through the first one & that was it. The others I footed out..and I didn’t try the last one b/c the rocks in the middle were wet & I didn’t feel like crashing.
We continued on to Schoolhouse & Little Bell. When I got to these trails I felt as though I needed a steeper gear b/c I was spinning myself silly. However, when I got on the climbs, my gearing was just right. I think I’ve gotten stronger from riding the single speed but I don’t know if I’m ready to go into a higher gear….. Laura rides a SS too….I asked what gear she runs b/c she is really strong, yet stays seated on everything & makes things look effortless…she runs a 36-20…equivalent to a 32-18…..I think that’s too steep for me right now..but maybe one day.

We dumped down to EF….saw a bunch of deer hanging out where the water used to be. There was a large buck among the deer. I think we saw him the last time we rode through there. He’s probably around an 8 pointer. As we approached the creek crossing, we heard lots of voices. We stopped for a bit to see which way the riders were heading. While we waited, I noticed a large spider web on one of the trail signs. I grabbed a stick to do some further investigation. When I saw the legs, I knew it was a Black Widow….I looked a little closer & saw the red hourglass on her belly. Yuk!! Fortunately this one was smaller than the one my hubby & I killed a few weeks back…but it was still scary.
Once we got started, we ran into the boyz. We heard one of them remark..oh, they’re not riders..it’s just the girlz….or something to that effect. We jeered as they past by us….saying “we don’t need no stinkin boyz” They just laughed at us.

We finished Comet and dumped back out on the fire road. We contemplated whether to go up the climb to Connector or head out the paved road. We opted to climb. I took it really easy up the climb. Laura took off…seated the entire way..it was awesome. We met back up w/ her at the entrance to Four Gorge…and proceeded down the trail. Laura & Jen took off…I just paced myself b/c my back was stiffening up. At one point Jen waited for me…I told her not to worry about it.but she said “I never drop riders”….We descended down Hi Dee Hoe, back to the parking lot.

It was a fun ride..w/ great company. I’m looking forward to the next ride w/ the girls..we might to a roadie ride to mix it up a bit. Plus Jen & I need to get ready for the next derailer race to be held at Candler’s Mountain in Lynchburg. I told Jen lots of road riding will get us ready. Woo Hoo!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh but my dear friend Paula... We have to race Franklin County first... Two trips up Still Hill this year for me. WOO HOO.... Check out the "Dirty Little Secret" over on abikenamedritchey. MUH HA HA HA, I can't hide it any longer...

SurlyGirl said...

I think a road ride on Tuesday would be great. Just let me know where and when.

-Laura

SurlyGirl said...

I'll see you at Patrick Henry at 6:00.