Sunday, September 14, 2008

MW race...

Blech...today was the 4th installment in the Virginia Derailer Series. Weather was hot...90's and it's mid-September!..Geez.
I wasn't feeling it this race. I went for an easy spin yesterday on the road bike & my legs were killing me. I don't know if it was a result from my riding earlier this week..(Mill Mtn Tuesday..lots o' climbing, intervals on the trainer Wednesday, Cove ride on Thursday going a little harder than I wanted too.....a lot of time on my feet on Saturday (shopping & other errands.....I noticed my legs hurt then too).. or it could be I'm still getting over my case of "walking bronchitis" which started over Labor Day weekend...I coughed for 7 nights straight, finally saw my doctor, got some good anitbiotics..but my chest still isn't clear.
Anyway...you have good races & not so good races...this was to be a not so good race. Boo!

We started off and immediately climbed..and climbed...and climbed. I had forgotten how much climbing was at the start of this race. Then, myself and about 5 or 6 others were told to go the wrong way on course. We did not realize our error until we had ridden an extra mile & 1/2 or so and we were getting passed by experts pretty early on. This would affect the outcome of the entire sport women's race...as the majority sport women were with me when we were misdirected. 2 of the sport girls & I debated on what to do at the end of our 1st lap. the officials told us we had to finish but we explained to them at that point we had only done 1 official lap. We decided to be "official" we should do a second lap. At this point I mentally checked out of the race & went into "just ride" mode. plus I was overheated, and my legs had no power.
As the three of us rode, we chit chatted as girls do...we decided at the end of the race we would all finish together to get the same time...and to basically "protest" (I don't know if you can do that in our little series...but we let them know we were not happy)
Our total mileage was around 10.62 miles...where as the regular race was 8.85 miles..(that's according to the readings on my Garmin & my hubby's Garmin)..so we did a little extra..close to 2 miles extra...
Overall I got 2nd in Female SS.....Surly girl was riding waaaaaay strong...killing it on the 1st climb so she got a much deserved 1st place. I didn't get to see her the rest of the race once we got off course .
In hindsight I should have followed my instint & turned where I thought we should turn instead of listening to the race "officials"...I've done this race for a few years now...so I knew better. Oh well..hindsight is 20-20....no biggie....just gotta put this one behind me & prepare for Lynchburg next week.
I think I'll go have a beer now.
Cheers!

2 comments:

trio said...

I think you would have looked very odd if you had ignored the race officials, annoying that they sent you the wrong way though.

Jen said...

I'm moooving on...Was there a race yesterday? Candlers is going to be F U N ! ! !