Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Happy Birthday part deux

So I get home from work and plan to spend a quiet b-day w/ my hubby..going out to dinner, no big plans. When my hubby arrives, he asks if I want to see my b-day gift. I said sure!..(in my mind I was thinking it would either be bike stuff or a new golf bag I've been eyeing) He can't get the gift downstairs so he leads me up the stairs telling me to keep my eyes shut. I enter the room & lo & behold....a brand spanking new set of women's golf clubs. Not just any old clubs..Adams Golf clubs..complete w/ the hybrid clubs, a big ol driver & everything I need to improve my game.....oh..the set came complete w/ a really cool bag.... I was floored! totally unexpected! I even cried a little....

So off to dinner we went. We ate at this new place downtown called Trio Bistro. I had many co-workers raving about this place so I thought we'd give it a try. It was pretty underwhelming. Places like this are quite fancy..high dollar menu items, blah blah blah..you'd expect the royal treatment when dining at this type of establishment...We ordered our entrees to find out they don't come w/ salad..you have to order that separate. So we ordered the $9.00 Greek Salad and split it. The salad was not so great...they didn't put any dressing on it. Next came the entrees. Hubby ordered a Salmon dish w/ a horseradish vinagrette dressing. The portion was huge and pretty tasty. I had crab stuffed shrimp...this was also good, very filling. The bill came to a total of ...well, let's just say I would never go back to this place. The bill was high for 2 salads & 2 entree's and water!...the service was lacking. When I go to places like this, I want to be wowed! I want to be treated like I'm the best guest ever. This fell far below my expectations. The waitress barely came over to ask how the food was or if there was anything we needed.. She didn't even recommend anything from the menu....underwhelming.

On the way home I got to talk to my dad & his beautiful bride..I told him about my day so far..getting the call from my brother to extend his deepest sympathies on the loss of my youth and so on. Dad asked if we had any other plans..I told him no..we were just going to go home & hang out w/ the dog & call it a night.

We got home & opened the door to the house. The light looked really weird...really dark and I thought something was wrong with the light bulb. Then the eruption of screams & "surprise!!" "Happy Birthday" It actually scared the crap out of me & I went back outside. I headed back in to a room full of close friends singing Happy Birthday!....Tears again...jeez I'm sappy...anywho, my sneak of a hubby planned a surprise party & kept it a secret for a week. Originally he was going to be traveling to Charlotte, NC for a trade show and would have to leave on my b-day. I was bummed out but understood. The plan was to go to dinner Tuesday night. Well Tuesday night came...the phone rang & he took the call outside. When he came back in he said "guess what?" I said "You don't have to go to Charlotte!" He said..I still have to go..but not on your birthday...so we can celebrate on the regular night. Little did I know that he had concocted this story to not have to go to Charlotte. and he had all of our friends in on it! How they kept it a secret from me, I'll never know. I kept asking everyone where they parked because I did not see any cars on our street.

What a great day!...I never expected to be getting a brand new set of clubs..let alone having a surprise party to boot! Wow! I'm still a bit overwhelmed but really enjoyed this milestone day! Once I get pics up I'll post em'

Well, gotta run..I'm tired & now that I'm older, I need my beauty sleep.

1 comment:

Jen said...

HA! I was there in spirit! WHEEEEE! Stupid job gets in the way of everything! =O