Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Carvin's Cove Race Report

Sunday was the second installment of the Roanoke Moutain Bike Challenge (RMBC)
The time trial up Mill Mtn was Sat. I felt good & had a decent time.
Sunday I was the only single speed chicky..but I started w/ the sport women & would do the same course as them. I think there were 6 or 7 female sport riders.. a few of whom I knew would be strong riders. My goal would be to finish among the t
op female sports..
When the riders lined up to the start, they had all of the sport men, women, clydesdales, and single speeders starting en mass. We had a "neutral" rolling start to the gate, once through the gate it was every person for themself. The neutral start was a little squirrelly. I tried to stay towards mid pak...I knew I wasn't fast enough to be in front, but I didn't want to be the last into the trails either.
When we arrived at the gate, the riders actually entered through in a single file, orderly fashion. They we hit the fireroad & took off to be some of the first into Songbird. This was a bit of a cluster getting in because people were already getting of of their bikes. I traded places with one of the clydesdales back & forth...I ended up having to go around him....then I ended up behind someone else who would stop at every technical section. (Songbird isn't very technical..one creek crossing, a few rocks embedded in the trails, etc). I knew if I wanted to gain any ground on the other chickies, I had to get around this dude.
I passed him in the cree
k because he stopped in the middle of the trail!!..I continued on..weaving & bobbing, pedaling, just having a blast. As I exited Songbird, my friend Skip was there encouraging me on. We then dumped into Enchanted Forest & on to Lower Comet. I was already running into people breaking chains & getting flats. I just kept praying I would have no mechanicals.
After Comet, we dumped back on the fire road & started the first ascent on the 1000' climb. I passed two guys who had passed me earlier on Comet. I continued to pedal & tried to get into a rhythm. I approached the feed zone where they were passing out bottles of cold water...I passed b/c I didn't have anywhere to put the bottle. I continued on up..mostly climbing alone...although I never looked behind me to see how far back the girls were. In a way I didn't want to know so it wouldn't put more pressure on me.
As I got near the intersection of Jacob's drop, I caught my teammate Chris. I was shocked I caught him..so I figured somet
hing must be wrong. I asked if he needed anything & his response was."Geez I must really stink today since I'm getting passed by you!" Thanks alot, Chris. I passed him & entered Hemlock Tunnel. I knew I didn't want Chris behind me so I slowed a little so he could catch up & pass me. I never saw him after that. A little motivation every now & then is good. As I started to descend Hemlock Tunnel, I started talking out loud to myself...I guess I was coaching myself down..."feather your front brake, let off of the back brake, get your weight back, look out ahead, keep a good line, relax, breathe" Luckily no one was around to hear all of this chatter, but it helped & I got down safely without dabbing on any switchbacks.
As I continued on Hemlock Tunnel, I started trading places w/ an expert dude. He'd dust me on the downhills, but I'd catch back up on the climbs. Once out of Hemlock Tunnel, we climbed up the fireroad...there's a stiff climb at the top & I was determined to make it w/out walking....and I did!! Yea me!. All the while I still had no idea where the girls were. I figured they were close to 1 minute or less behind me....so I kept giving it all I had.
Onto comet..got through safely..had a couple of hike a bike sections but kept a good pace..
Once through comet, it was back on the fireroad & back up part of the 1000' climb. I checked my time & realized I had a shot at finishing in under 1 hour 45 minutes. I decided to go for it but had to get up the second climb. It w
as pretty tough..especially w/ one gear. I settled in & rode steady..Once on to Connector(Four Gorge Trail)...I rode w/ another expert. He was pretty banged up..had crashed a few times & flatted...not a good day for him. As we continued, I decided I couldn't hold his pace & passed him. I continue on but the trail seemed to take forever to end. I caught up to a beginner girl & shouted some encouragement to her...she looked like she was going to have a meltdown at any time...poor thing.
I checked my time at the intersection of Hi Dee Ho...1:38....I can do this I thought to myself....I put the hammer down & rode as fast as I could to the finish.
Final time 1:40 and some change. I waited & waited for the strong girls to come out. Finally the first one arrived 9 minutes after I finished!...Wow...I knew I was ahead but didn't think I had that big of a lead...I was thrilled.
All in all it was a great race (of course it is when you do well) There were a few factors that contributed to my good race...Great Weather ( mid 80's & low humidity...I don't do well in heat), I knew the course well (ride out there every week), stayed relaxed, no mechanicals & just went out to have fun. Thanks to RCO for putting on another fun event.

1 comment:

trio said...

I am always talking to myself on descents, it really does work!