Monday, August 21, 2006

Feel the Burn




Saturday, Aug 19

A group of us headed down to Danville to pre-ride the course for the Southside Scramble. As we entered the trailhead, I felt good, legs felt strong, I felt confident in my handling skills, etc. This course is full of rollers and some fun singletrack. As we entered the first rolling section, I felt a horrible burning sensation on my leg and my backside. I thought "man these horseflies are relentless" Only.they weren't horseflies. The burning/stinging worsened as did my screams of pain! It was then my hubby said "BEES! GO GO GO" I was sobbing at this point b/c the pain was unbearable. I took off on my bike....crying the entire way... Once we were away, I could calm down. Turns out the riders who were ahead of us stirred up a nest of yellow jackets..The bees thought I'd be a good target. I was stung at least 3 times...once in the leg and a couple on my backside. Moe was also a good target .she got stung 4 times! Later on the ride my hubby got stung on the back of his head!

Fortunately I did not have a serious reaction to the stings other than some pain, itching and large swelling at the sting sites. I've been doped up on Benadryl the past couple of days to help the itching subside. I hate Benadryl b/c I feel soo out of it..Hopefully the swelling will go down in the next day or so.

My hubby said he's never seen me ride so fast. After I was stung, he couldn't keep up w/ me through that first section of trail! I guess the adrenaline was pumping. Worst part is, I don't remember anything about that first section of trail in terms of the technical aspects or climbs.
I sure was exhausted afterwards!

Fortunately there were a couple of folks who work on the trails in Danville. They've been alerted to the bees..so hopefully Saturday, we'll have a bee free race!

3 comments:

Jen said...

OUCH...

Miranda said...

all these blog updates! I don't know if I can handle it!

Andrew McAllister said...

Adrenaline does AMAZING things to our ability to react, doesn't it?

Andrew
To Love, Honor and Dismay