Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Va Derailer Series Race #1 MW Windows

Sunday Aug 12...
This was the first in the Derailer Series races. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to race this event. We spent all day Saturday at Roanoke County's Summer Blast event hosting kid's races...it was hot & dry...being out in it all day tends to sap your energy. Anyway, Ron & Skippy convinced us to race.

We headed down to Franklin County's Waid Park. The folks down here do a great job putting on this race...There's always a ton of volunteers & things seem really well organized.
Got registered for the series & did the whole pre race routine (food, drink, bathroom, warm up, more drink, bathroom, good to go!)

The field seemed much smaller than in previous years. This year I moved up classes to Expert. I'd have to do 3 laps instead of 2. I was up for it. We lined up at the start & there was only one other female in my division. She raced at Mountain Lake in the spring and I remember she was a really strong rider. I wasn't out to prove anything today..just wanted to get a good ride in with little mistakes. The starting horn went off & the pack flew off the line. The first part of the race climbs up this grassy hill..total pain. Everyone was gone. I tried to keep the other female in my sights but she was waaay strong. Oh well..time to sit in & do my thing.

I rode steady..I didn't feel strong but I didn't feel weak either. I knew this course from previous years and knew I needed to conserve at least for the first lap or so....as long as I kept the other expert chicky in my sights, I had nothing to worry about. As I descended down the gravel road to the first creek/river crossing, Skippy & Gordo passed me on their single speeds. They were flying...I just stayed in my steady pace & kept on going. I attempted to ride the creek crossing but ended up drifting away from my chosen line & finally had to dismount & run through it. Back on the bike, up the cornfields to the first hill! I managed to ride this hill with no problem. other expert chicky walked it..I thought it was strange for her to be walking so early but maybe she was conserving too. On we rode.

This course was really hard to get a rhythm going. Once you climbed, you descend a little, only to have to climb again. I kept riding keeping her in my sight....as we approached the 2nd river crossing, I caught up to her. We both looked at each other and asked.."are you gonna ride it?" "I'm not gonna ride it"....we pushed across. The river was much lower this year..only up to my hips rather than my stomach. Many guys were riding it this year...even the mud on the banks was negotiable....As we crossed the river, we remounted and I took the lead for the second half of the first lap. She stayed with me....I walked the rest of the climbs to try & conserve...many of them I realized I could walk/jog the cimbs quicker than I could ride them.

Second lap was much the same as the first.. expert chicky stayed w/ me....after the 2nd river crossing, I noticed I was starting to gap from her..I think I was making up ground on the descents. I rode the full suspension bike for the race..this bike just holds the lines on the descents and I am able to hammer on them. I rode hard the 2nd half of my second lap continuing to try to distance myself....I still ran the climbs. I passed a couple of beginners & shouted some encouragement to them....

The third lap was uneventful as well. I tried to ride the first creek crossing again, only to drift off line & have to dismount....I could not figure out this stupid creek. pedaled on up the first climb..continued on. I did not want to look back b/c I was afraid she would be right with me...so I kept my focus on the remainder of the course ahead.
I tried to ride as hard as I could on the descent to the finish line...hoping not to flat.My legs were starting to tighten but I continued to pedal hard. I threw a look back over my shoulder just to see..but there was no one back there. I cruised on to the finish line completing the race in 1hour 42 minutes & some change.

During the post race meal they had a raffle...I heard my name called..I got a nice gift cert to REI...sweet! I never win raffles or door prizes so this was a nice surprise.
They did the awards & I finished close to 10 minutes ahead of the other chicky...I asked her what happened...she said she blew up....It could have been the heat & the fact you're constantly pedaling on this course.
They did one final award...best overall male & female...I won that award (for the female) as well as some cash..totally unexpected!.... It turned out to be a productive race....got an award, got some dough & got a door prize...& to think..I wasn't even going to race 24 hours prior. Yeah!


Up next..18 hours on the farm race... I'm in a 4 person team Our name is 3 and P....It will be interesting!

4 comments:

Jen said...

18 hour race?? Wow, good luck with that one. 3 & P - good name... at least it's not TP.

Have fun, be safe - see ya soon.

Natalie B. Dibling said...

Hey Paula-
My name is Natalie, not sure if you remember me but I've seen you at several races recently. I even converted my bike to race single speed at Wade Park - hoping you would you do it too! Not much female competition around here recently (as far as turnout at races).
Anyway, I was so disappointed no other girls raced singlespeed and have been wondering if I should just race expert (not sure if I'm in good enough shape) or go sport for the rest of the derailer series. Unfortunately I don't have another bike to use, only my single speed. I have about $1200 saved up but haven't found the "right" full suspension yet. Probably going for a used one on ebay.
Sorry for the long message, but am totally lost at what I should do for the rest of the derailer series. Hmm.
Anyway, I'm off to ride the dreaded Danville course tomorrow with my husband. Ugh, this course kicks my butts. See you later.
Natalie

Paula said...

Yo Natalie
I absolutely remember you at the races..you kicked butt at the Cove & did well on your SS at Waid.

I don't think there's too many gals out there who are crazy enough to race singlespeed...at least in this area...I've seen some in the Richmond area..yet it's a little flatter out there too! I've also seen some in West Virginia but the gals up there are mutant anyway..really fast, really strong...must be something in the water!
If you want the competition, I would race sport class on your single speed bike. The two ladies who raced at Waid are both great riders and would provide some excellent competition for you. I raced with one of them last year...Gina Gilbert..super nice gal, and really good on the bike.. You'll still do really well but not have the extra length to contend with in the expert field. I think your time was 1:09 at Waid & their times were 1:14 or something like that..so not too far off.
I contemplated racing single speed in the derailer this year...but I knew Waid park was not a good venue for me on the single speed and after my lackluster performance at the Cove I decided I wasn't quite ready. I wasn't even sure I was going to race at Waid until the night before....When I registered, I decided to sign up for the whole series so I had to pick a class. I've won the sport category for my age group the past 2 years..so it was either SS or Expert..I chose expert.
It's a harder class for me b/c I have not been training as much this year..and the course lengths are a little longer.
I may still ride the single speed in a derailer race or two..but I"ll be going in expert class.

Danville is a good course for the Single Speed...but it's tough to do 3 laps on it..esp if you're worried about your fitness. Lynchburg is also good for the SS w/ the exception of the paved path..you spin yourself silly. Bedford is also SS friendly...the hill climb...It can be done on a SS..it hurts (my husband has first hand experience) you could change the gearing on it for the climb

Whew now I'm long winded...
Bottom line..I'd race your single in the sport division. You'll have competition, probably place really well, and not have the extra mileage to contend with.
Hope that helps...
Oh..if you ever want to ride sometime, let me know...I lead a beginner ride at Explore Park on Mondays. It's pretty low key... Thursdays I ride w/ the boys at the Cove....I'm always the only girl...You could hang very easily w/ the Thursday crew. I'd love to be able to ride w/ other females who are int/expert level..that makes me a better rider..so anytime you want to hook up to ride, let me know..

Jen said...

"I've also seen some in West Virginia but the gals up there are mutant anyway..."

Um, no comment will have to share that thought in person.

=O =P =D

Give me another year and I can play sport class... hmmm, maybe by then I can actually work normal work hours too.