Sunday, January 18, 2009

Brrrrrrr

It was Saturday...hubby had already done his "no excuses" ride. I had to get froo frooed up in the morning so I could not join him. I had the itch to ride...even though it was only 20 degrees or so. Quite a bit warmer than when hubby went out. Around 12:30 I called my buddy Laura & asked her if she had already ridden.....she said she was still in her pj's watching CSI dvds....I asked if she'd be up for an urban assault, local trail ride...she said sure..she could get motivated.....She had originally planned to ride the trainer...yuk!...I figured this would be more fun.


We met up at PH around 2...At this point the sun was out & I was thinking I was a bit overdressed...especially when we started the short climbs. We ran into a gentlemen walking his pooches....he bid us a good day & mentioned it was getting warm enough to start taking off the layers......almost... We continued over to Fishburn and explored the trails there...I was trying not to do too much climbing b/c I was really feeling tired from the previous nights P90X Core Synergistics workout. I didn't think it would affect me that much...but I was hurting on the climbs. We went through some of the more "technical" sections of the trail...lots of roots, a few rocks, . I mentioned to Laura this is a great place to work on technical skills.


We continued on and ran into our friend Wake from the bike shop. He had his adorable 9 week old little puppy with him....a Brittany named Kaya......very cute, very cuddly, all puppy. After we chatted with him for a bit, we decided to venture over to Mill Mountain. We cut through lots of alleys as we made our way to the Roanoke River Greenway. Once at the Greenway, I hopped up on a small median & rode alongside Laura...I did have to bail because I was headed for a trashcan.


As we continued on the greenway, the wind had picked up a bit & the cloudes rolled in. It was starting to get cold...Laura mentioned her fingers were getting a little cold because they had gotten too warm on the initial part of the ride and the inside of the gloves were now damp. I was having the same issue with my thumbs.


We cruised past River's Edge where there were a few folks out jogging & some others playing soccer. We rode through the tunnel under the railroad tracks to head over towards Chrystal Spring...There was actually ice in the tunnel.... When we emerged on the other side, we noticed our friends Chris & Angelia waiting in the parking lot. I noticed a Trane HVAC truck there as well..I asked Chris if he was on call..he said no, but his co-worker was..but ran into an issue. He had called Chris for a little backup & Chris was nice enough to oblige. We chatted w/ Angelia a bit...As we chatted, the winds increased & the temps felt like they were getting colder. We decided to forgoe Mill Mountain today for fear that once we climbed, we'd be chilled to bones trying to ride home & that wouldn't have been any fun.


We bid Angelia adieu & headed back through the Greenway, onto the alleys & finally parted ways near PH. It was fun just to get out & get a decent ride. I wanted to do 2+ hours, but the colde got the better of me. I ended up with 1:45 which I guess wasn't too bad considering the conditions.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Bah. I was home on the couch watching TV. ='(